Saturday, December 13, 2008

New Discovery with Indrawati

It was a pity that those that intended to come for Indra's class didn't make it, either due to traffic or the rain. However, I would like to share with you what I discovered with Indra. Indra recently went to S'pore to attend John Scott's Ashtangha workshop & she was enthusiastically sharing what she learned from John Scott's workshop. Of course I don't know who John Scott is at that time during class, but I thought that he is great as his ways of doing certain poses has answered my queries of certain asanas. For e.g.
1) When doing sun salutation, normally both hands would be above our head & behind our ears & look up into our palms. But I always felt like why? Coz I always feel a compression between my neck & shoulders, & my shoulder blades are all squeezed tightly together giving me such an uncomfortable feeling.


According to Indra-John Scott's way sun salutation:
(Ekam/One) Inhale: Hands up slightly infront your crown, palms together, head slightly back, lengthen your neck and look at thumb...all with 1 inhalation. Remember, hands go up 1st then your head.
(Dve/Two) Exhale: back is round...hands still up, head look down to the drishti, then you fall forward (catch your body with hands) weight on hands 70% and legs are 30%, so this will help to build arms strength. For ppl who needs to bend knees, its fine. look to the tip of your nose, chin close to chest.
(Trini/Three) Inhale; hands still flat on the floor,and you must look forward (drishti is 3rd eyes)
(Catvari/Four) exhale: still look ahead, jump to chaturranga dandasana
(Panca/Five) inhale: roll up to upward dog
(Sat/Six) exhale: down dog, end of last exhalation, round the back to be like a cat (suck the belly in)
(Sapta/Seven) inhale: jump to the front (feet behind your hands just like Dve)
(Astau/Eight) Exhale: Look down (like Trini)
(Nava/Nine) Inhale: back to standing (like Ekam) hands 1st then head
Perhaps I am not strong in my core that I really find it impossible to jump to plank/chaturangha from previous position, with palms lined up beside the feet hence I'd always place my palms shoulder width apart, slightly in front of my feet, then jump & this is what John Scott taught Indra. Hey, what do you know? I was doing ok all this while. Well, at least now I know my ways are endorsed by a guru. LOL.

Try it & let me know how you feel.


Since there were only 2 of us, I requested Indra to guide me to Tripod headstand, (those that has been following my blog would know that I can't tripod). Drum roll please....... yes, I did it! & it was not that tough once you know the right way. Ok, some may think it's a piece of cake, but I had fear before & I hope that I've countered my fear. Can't wait to show-off.......to myself lah.


Indra told me to trust her & this is my first attempt

My second attempt, but I noticed that my back isn't that straight, something to work-on.

According to the practitioner, it's called the Crab (or perhaps the Crap?) in UK. She also managed to tripod headstand & we were both really thrilled.

John Scott is a world-renowned practitioner of Ashtanga Yoga and presents both National and International Workshops. John has produced a best-selling book, "Ashtanga Yoga", and a DVD. He was certified to teach by Shri K Pattabhi Jois in 1994, having studied with him in Mysore, India, since 1989. John & Lucy's teaching is very precise and follows traditional teaching methods "Self Practice" and "Vinyasa Counting".
For more information about John, please visit his webpage at
http://www.stillpointyoga.co.nz/

6 comments:

TY said...

Dear Ivy,

It is a pity that I had to give it a pass due to traffic condition. Asthanga Yoga is my favourite class and hope I will have a chance to meet Indrawati in the neat future.

Thomas Yap

yogababy said...

Hi Thomas,

Sorry you couldn't make it to class. Indra is always out of the country, she's going to Yogjakarta this wk & then she's off to Mysore, India in Jan 09 for 1 month for her ashtangha studies.

I do hope to invite her again. She is planning a yoga retreat in Borobudor,yogjakarta in mid March 09. Will let you know once I've the details.

indra said...

HI Thomas and other practitioners,
its time for me to rejuvenate my practice and knowledge too. look at the positive side, when get back, I have more things to share with all of you.

I would like to thank Ivy to invite me to the beautiful place and share what I have learn and practice. It was a wonderful evening and everyone of us (3 of us) were learning something about ourselves :)

om shanti...

merry Xmas, Happy New Year and Chinese New Year in advance.

I will be back from India on the 5th Feb 09

yamuna, yogini said...

Its all about understanding how human body functions, which I must admit are still lacking among most of yoga teacher.

They are too busy teaching headstand or 'split' without understanding the basic foundations.

yogababy said...

Hi Yamuna,

Its so great to know that you as a teacher is also reading my blog & sharing with us your opinion. However, I didn't have the chance to meet you & also learn from you.

I've been practising yoga for about 3 yrs now, previously with Yogazone, there were some good teachers there, but due to the class's size, we seldom get the attention & teaching we should-it's a mass production-"do it all together or miss out".

I am glad that with teachers coming over to Bukit Ceylon to teach with a small class, we get the proper guidance & individual attention, & in fact I've improved a lot over these 3 months compared to the years at Yogazone.

& what you said is true, all of us has different built in anatomy & we need to know what's comfortable to us & not just follow blindly what the teachers teaches us, right? I never push myself over the limit, I try to do it slow & safely & until I am comfortable, that's why after 3 yrs I still can't headstand, too fearful & perhaps not strong enough.

But then again, if I learn everything in a speedy way within a short period of time, I can't look forward to learn something new everytime. I want to learn yoga for many more years to come & I love that feeling of excitement everytime I learn something new or discover a new way/technique that's comfortable to me.

That's just my thoughts & how I feel towards yoga. I am just so glad I discovered yoga :)

yamuna, yogini said...

You are on right track here. Its gives me joy to see practitioner like yourself who are learing yoga not just doing yoga. Less is more and more doesnt mean MORE.