Saturday, December 6, 2008

Plank with Ease with Azmi

Sunday's class

Contrary to many advices that you shouldn't yoga during "that time of the month", I decided against it. I had to yoga cause there are new practitioners & since I am the hostess, I had to be around. My Irish friend, also a practitioner told me before the class that some exercise during "that time of the month" is good as long as you know what not to do. I thought I would be really tired during/after class, but heck, NO! I feel really refreshed & not sluggish & it really made me feel good all over coz I think I burnt those extra calories, ha ha. A friend once told me that during "that time of the month" you actually burn more calories & I would actually take the chance to eat more chocolates & ice-cream during that week. Well, I wonder how true is that.

Here are some of the poses not to do during "that time of the month" (applies only to ladies).

This is funky.

She did a beautiful Urdhva Dharunasa/Wheel Pose

Wow, you could see her abs with that white t-shirt.


Tripod headstand


Saturday's class

I've not been updating pics in my blog as the connection has been slow & I've been lazy. But this morning, I did take some pics of shoulder stand. I took shots of the headstand progressively to share with others the "style" Azmi always get us into.


that mat without anyone on it, is mine, I guess I need to clean it soon

halasana/plow pose

karna pidasana - releases the spinal muscles and relaxes tension in the legs. Increases the circulation of blood through the abdominal area. Induces a deep sense of security and relaxation

Matsyasana/Fish pose as a counter-pose.


It's kinda scary when you look at them with their eyes wide open.



This morning I am especially glad as I managed to side plank with ease as now I know the technique. I've always lined up my shoulder directly above my wrist & this always put a strain on my wrist & my shoulders tend to carry almost my entire body weight & it trembles after 5 counts. But today, Azmi explained that we should not align the shoulders above the wrist, the shoulders should be at an slight angle away from the wrist & this would ease the weight off your arms,, hence distributing the body weight thru-out the body. and YES! I did it without hesitation & YAY, I did it without trembling.....


Azmi's tends to stick to the same variations & some may say that why is it always the same, class after class, rather than some other new poses. In my opinion, practise makes perfect. If you can't perfect an asana, why learn something else & still not perfect the asanas?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Me too managed to go into Side Plank easily after following the same instruction by Azmi :) He's the best!