Tuesday, June 9, 2009

ANUSARA Yoga

Anusara yoga is becoming increasingly popular in Malaysia & many teachers are adapting their ways to this Anusara yoga. Matthew shared with us during friday's class which then I realized that Felix has been teaching us this Anusara Yoga during the past months, but failed to mentioned that it was Anusara yoga. When I mentioned this to Matthew, he commented that some students (Felix's regulars) managed to understand the concept (that's because we had some head-up with previous lessons, but when I mentioned that to one of the practitioner, she said, "huh??? what Anusara? I don't know from Hatha, Flow, Ashtangha, I just come to class and learn yoga", LOL).

I must say its not easy if its your first time, I remembered the time when Felix was teaching us, we had to keep rolling the shoulders up, then back to squeeze the shoulders blades tightly together, & at the same time tucking in the core as tight as possible. He would come around every student and poke us at the core and tell us that its not tight enough, sometimes I think this must be what labour pain is all about and at times, I felt as if my heart is gonna stop as it was pumping so hard and fast.

While at plank, downward dog, chaturangha, upward dog, cobra, etc we had to remember to roll the shoulders up and back and squeeze and keep the mid lower back slightly rounded (due to core tucked in). It was like the chinese says it "loh meang". And the after effects the following day??? Shoulder ache, shoulder blade ache too, core ache, buttock ache, LOL. But then I would say I love this Anusara yoga, why??? because it not only makes my shoulders stronger and more defined, the best part is that it is really uplifting for the breast (very important!!), now, I walk confidently.

If I am not mistaken, some teachers at Energy Yoga is adopting this Anusara yoga. Do enquire at the reception which teacher is teaching Anusara.

Some write up I copied from the web :-

Anusara-founded in 1997 by American yogi John Friend, Anusara (which means "flowing with grace") is becoming increasingly popular.

Anusara Yoga is a modern school of Yoga grounded in a Tantric philosophy of intrinsic goodness [1], that was started by John Friend in 1997. Friend continues to take an active role leading the expansion of the school and training (and certifying) teachers.
The emphasis of the school is on a set of "Universal Principles of Alignment" which underlie all postures, "heart opening" postures and the spiritual/meditative benefits of hatha yoga.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anusara_Yoga

http://www.iyogalife.com/anusara/

No comments: