Sunday, November 16, 2008

I took the easy way out



As my arms are not strong enough to continuously Chaturangha, therefore, I didn't want to push myself to the limit as I am cautious of injuries. Previously, my shoulder took 3 months to recover from Chaturangha injury & I shouldn't push myself. Hence, I only Chaturangha maybe about 5 sets, then it was straight to downward dog from plank-and I truly enjoyed the class as my body & mind was at peace & not worried about injuries.

Well, just before the end of class, Azmi said "ok, lets do headstand". Cathry & myself were sort of looking at each other then turn to Azmi & I said "I've not done headstand before". "Oh well, just get to the wall then". It has been some time now since I last did a hand or headstand (by the wall, of course!). The 1st attempt was fearful for me as everything was upside down & the fear of falling, of course Azmi was there to support me. Oh well, it was a baby headstand for me as my legs were at the wall with the knees bent.

However, the brain just lost co-ordination as when Azmi said knee to your chest, I really don't know where my knees and chest was!!! It was hilarious, I actually repeated out loud so that I could hear myself. The second attempt was much better & my brains were working upside down better. Would love to try again the next class & hopefully I am brave enough to straighthen my legs and eventually without the wall.

Just to share with you some photos of Azmi doing the headstand, progressively. Important to remember to tuck your chin to the neck-this would lengthen the back of your neck therefore the neck and spine is aligned. If not, you'd be compressing the back of your neck & cause injury.



No comments: